Sonophoresis or phonophoresis is transdermal drug delivery aided by ultrasound waves. Sonophoresis is currently a very important application of low intensity ultrasound exposure, since it can locally deliver topical medications in a totally non-invasive and painless modality.
In fact EQ Pro Therapy, by rising the skin surface temperature, increases dermal capillary vasodilation and cell membrane permeability, therefore allowing transcutaneous absorption of the medication. The acoustic pressure generated by EQultrasound Pro Therapy promotes deep drug diffusion and absorption, therefore optimizing both pharmacokinetics and drug action.
For example sonophoresis can be successfully employed for subcutaneous administration of homeopathic ointments and gels (like Traumeel) or anti-inflammatory medications, such as hydrocortisone (like Voltaren and other gels and ointments). Hydrocortisone is usually employed to treat bursitis, tendonitis and other myofascial pathologies.
Indications for Traumeel sonophoresis:
- wash the area to treat to remove dirt and hydrate skin to increase cellular permeability.
- mix medication with gel (the ratio should be approximately 30% medication and 70% gel) and spread the preparation on the area to treat.
- for the first 5-7 minutes use EQ Pro continuous-emission transducers (either Red or Yellow depending on the surface to treat). Start with a 70% power output and gradually increase the output to 100%. By rising skin surface temperature, continuous emission hand probes (red hand probes) stimulate dermal vasodilation and cell membrane permeability, therefore allowing transcutaneous absorption of the medication.
- move the transducer with circular and linear movements.
- after the first 5-7 minutes start using EQ Pro pulsed-emission transducers (either Blue or Green depending on the surface to treat). Start with a 70% power output and gradually increase the output to 90% (increase power output by 10% approximately every 5 minutes). Pulsed emission transducers generate acoustic and mechanical effects (stable cavitation, acoustical streaming and microstreaming), which will help deep drug diffusion and absorption, therefore optimizing both pharmacokinetics and drug action.
- use the pulsed emission transducer for 15 minutes and apply it with circular and linear movements.
- make sure there is always plenty of gel. If gel dries ultrasound cannot propagate into tissues (this is also true for any treatment, not just for sonophoresis).
- at the end of the treatment remove completely remaining gel and clean the treated area.
Sonophoresis is a painless and safe alternative to injections and should be administered under veterinary supervision.